April 23, 2007

GETTING LOST

I love getting lost in a foreign land. I love the feeling of not knowing what to expect. The sights & sounds I come across never failed to amaze me.
Here are some gems that I stumbled upon while I was “lost”. After some intensive research on the internet, I managed to figure out what most of them are...

11 SEPT 06: ST PETERSBURG
On my way to look for the Transfiguration Cathedral (which i never found)


1. Narva Triumphal Arch
(http://www.saint-petersburg.com/monuments/narva-gate.asp)




2. Unknown Church
After all the gold & glitter of the St Petersburg churches this simple, understated church was like a breathe of fresh air.



Unfortunately, in spite of my best efforts, I never managed to get the name of this church.


15 SEPT 06: MOSCOW
On my way to look for this:
Church of the Trinity in Nikitniki




At times, I walked around in circles hopelessly lost & had to hop into trams to seek shelter from the bitter Baltic winds.

sidetrack: most of my photos looked nice & sunny but there were times when the clouds conquered the sun & everything looked like this:


Anyway... as rewards for my suffering, I saw these:

1. Watermelons!


2. Kotelnicheskaya apartment block
One of Stalin's "Seven Gothic Sisters"




3. View of the Kremlin from across the Moscow River


4. The St George's Church
Almost mistook this for the Church of Trinity in Nikitniki


5. Children's World!!



20 SEPT 06: BERLIN

Couldn't decide where to go so just walked around aimlessly & found:
1. Random residential building


Looking for the H&M boutique. Instead stumbled upon...
2. The Berlin Zoo
It's a REAL zoo - Right in the heart of the city!



The sights here were just a small fraction of what I saw while "lost"... Moving forward, I hope that each time I travel, I will have the opportunity to get lost again & again & again...

Disclaimer: I do not like getting lost while lugging a 10kg backpack & trying to locate a hostel or train station at the same time. Apart from not being able to fit into my pants due to too many potato chips, this is one of the shittest things one has to experience.

No comments: